Monday, April 15, 2024

First Aurora Australis!!!!!!!


Auroras over the South Pole observation deck. All the boxes are some of our food for the winter that we are storing there because our elevator broke.

We saw our first Southern Lights / Aurora Australis today (aurora borealis is in the northern hemisphere). 

Just after lunch, someone said there were auroras outside. Catching them can be a fluke now because all of the windows are boarded up. I was getting ready for a nap, but mustered the energy to throw on a jacket and head outside to see the first auroras of the season. I am using a new camera and have not figured out all the settings yet. Figuring them out in the cold and dark wasn't as successful as I would have liked. I headed back inside after a quick five minutes to thaw out and run my hands under warm water.


Auroras over top of the South Pole station.


Auroras over the South Pole summer camp from the A4 exit.

After a few minutes getting dressed properly, getting some hand warmers, and messing with camera settings, I switched to another view point for the auroras with Andrew W and Brian K. I still struggled with the autofocus, but captured a few moments of beauty in the sky. If you haven't seem them before, they are like vertical clouds dancing in the sky. The fainter ones are often mistaken for clouds until you get to know what you are looking for. They are truly one of my favorite part of winters down here. I can watch them dance for as long as I can stay warm.

This is supposed to be a high aurora activity year and the South Pole is right under the aurora 'rings' where they are most active. I am very, very hopeful for them this winter.


Looking over at B1 berthing from A4 berthing.

Brian K catching his first view of auroas this winter.

2 comments: