Monday, February 01, 2010

Smoothies


The source of smoothie goodness.

This year has been a great year for food at McMurdo. They have been trying to improve morale and they scored a big hit with me by bringing in more fresh fruit and vegetables. Some meals are good, some are bad, but my morning smoothies are always good, so are the evening salads.

At the beginning of the season, I was excited to have access to a blender, but scared to take too much fruit. I didn't want to take more than my fair share. I started out just taking extra of the fruit that was about to go bad. I was able to make one or two a week for Meg, a friend, and me. However, after a few chats with the galley where they told me that they were having trouble getting rid of it all, we started taking a lot. We were able to make smoothies four or five days a week and loving it.

I only get to make three more smoothies down here. Unfortunately for some, they'll all be banana based because that is what we are getting more than anything else. Tomorrow will be banana-mango. Thursday, perhaps it will be banana kiwi. Friday, we'll just have to see what the galley goodness offers up. Hmm, hmm, good.

On the topic of smoothies, if you don't know about the secret menu at Jamba Juice, you are missing out on candy flavored smoothie goodness.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know if Pole is cashing in on the fruit frenzie? Last year they got so little... I wonder if Raytheon learned it's lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I know last season was bad here and it was much better this season. Hopefully, it was the same for Pole.

    ReplyDelete