Sunday, October 25, 2009

The sun isn't going down anymore!


McMurdo Sound under the first night of the not-so-setting sun

On October 23rd, the sun rose and it won't be going back down again until late February. To be fair, the sun hasn't been going down for me since I got here because I go to sleep early. When I was waking up in the middle of the night, I'd see crazy sunset colors, but the sun was always up.

On the first night the sun didn't officially set, my roommate, Meg, and I went out to ski at 11:15pm to celebrate her beau's teaser clip for his first(?) major ski movie, Signatures. She was bonkers excited and unable to sleep so we went out to play.

Skiing out to the runway away from town is such a treat. I've only skied out a few times, but each time I've been rewarded with the sounds of silence and huge beautiful reminders of why I'm here. It puts me at ease in ways I can't describe. I don't know how anyone could come down here and just stay in town.

Challenge: Who is singing the song in the teaser linked to above? The person who figures that out will get a souvenir from the store here. All we can figure out so far is that it is a cover of Daniel Johnston's "True Love Will Find You in the End."

No comments:

Post a Comment