Friday, December 14, 2007

Arts and Crafts

Antarctica is filled with people that have amazing talents. I figured it would be filled with a ton of people who were a little bit unusual, but the sheer talent that likes within this community is amazing. It extends from open mike nights at the Coffee House to full on jam bands at Ice Stock to our most recent Arts & Crafts show. It's really the same as any show you would have back in the states, but I'm just amazed that people find time to create these things down here.
Setup.

Joe Harrigan setting up his photography.

One of the curious things was that there were 4 major photographers at the show. They certainly all have a ton of ability, but I think the key to them doing so well at the show was their jobs. One guy worked in FSTP as a field trainer and also took groups of people into the field. Another was the head of science support. I'm assuming she heads out with scientists from time to time. Two others were members of the Search and Rescue team. So, it isn't just talent, but also location, location, location. There are definitely a couple other great photographers on base, but they just don't have the opportunity to head out into the field as much. I might need to switch jobs.

More arts and crafts goodness.

Even more arts ands crafts.

Pottery made in Antarctica? Yes.

I'm not too inspired today so we'll keep this one short. This past weekend, I finally cleared 20 miles for my marathon training. I've lost my training rhythm so I'm not running as much as I should, but at least I'm still getting in my long runs. About five weeks to go until the real thing.

Also of note for anyone reading this from EEDRville, I was working on creating reports today. Still am. Where ever you are, Charley, thanks for a little training. I might not be your back up over there very well, but it is still coming in handy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed at the lengths folks down South go through to make it feel a little more like home. I would have never thought they'd hold an art & crafts show in Antarctica!

    ReplyDelete